I love to take advantage of summer squash while it is in abundance in our baskets, at farmer’s markets or from friends who are eager to get rid of their bumper crop. Wherever you are getting your summer squash fix, they are perfect for blending with other ingredients or in very simple preparations because of their subtle flavor.
This salad is perfect on a hot evening when a cheesy or fried squash dish just won’t do.
Shaved Summer Squash Salad
- 1 pound summer squash (you can use a combination of yellow and green)
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Baby spinach
- Shaved Parmesan to taste
- 3 T chopped pecans (almonds or toasted pine nuts would be good too)
- Trim the ends off the summer squash and use a vegetable peeler to thinly slice lengthwise into a bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Toss in a couple handfuls of baby spinach.
- Shave a little Parmesan over the salad and garnish with the pecans.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens