In our house on your birthday you get to pick your favorite meal to have for dinner. My husbands birthday came around the other day and I decided (not him) to make KC Strip steaks, green beans and his favorite bacon potato salad. I am not a potato salad lover but I do like this one. I got the new picnic pack add-on along with my conventional basket recently so, I had everything but the bacon, eggs and a couple other ingredients to make his favorite salad. The picnic pack had red potatoes and onion in it and my conventional basket had celery. Needless to say when my hubby came into the kitchen to dish up his dinner plate, he was thrilled to see his favorite potato salad. Happy Birthday Kevin!
Birthday Bacon Potato Salad
- 2 pounds Red or russet potatoes (I leave the skin on my red potatoes but peel the russet) cut into bite size chunks
- 6 eggs hard boiled
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- ½ onion chopped or 6 green onions chopped
- 12 ounces of bacon sliced into little pieces and cooked. Reserving the grease from the bacon
- Salt, Pepper and Paprika to season with
- 1/2- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- While your potatoes and eggs boil, start to cook your bacon pieces stirring frequently.
- Cut up the celery and onion. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Once the potatoes are cooked to your desired doneness (For me, I think I boiled them for about 10-15 minutes or until fork tender) drain them and add them to the bowl of chopped celery and onion.
- Let the bacon cool in the grease when it is done cooking.
- Cool the eggs under cold water when they are done cooking. Peel and cut them up and add them to the bowl with all the other ingredients.
- Start with adding ½ a cup of mayonnaise to your mixing bowl of ingredients stir it gently as you mix it up. Add the bacon pieces and some of the grease to your mixture along with a little salt, pepper and paprika to your taste. If your mixture seems dry just add ¼ cup of mayonnaise at a time until you get it to the desired texted you like. I use about ¾ cups of mayonnaise and all the grease from the bacon. I wouldn’t dump all the grease in at once. Just add a little at a time and take little tastes your salad mixture to make sure it tastes good to you.
- Cover and let it chill in the fridge a couple hours before serving. The longer the salad sets and the flavors marinade together, the better the salad tastes to me.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens