Most days, I look in the mirror and don’t even recognize this person I have become. I look at the old me and the person I am now and feel like they are 2 separate yet equally important parts of me. That old version showed me what I didn’t want to be. And this new one…well, this is a whole new adventure!
I’m going to tell you a secret, but you have to promise not to tell anyone….I didn’t always have such a positive outlook on life. In fact, my outlook down right sucked! I saw the world through crap colored glasses. I had an unhealthy outlook on life because I was unhealthy on the inside and eating unhealthy things. I didn’t believe people who told me that “what we put into our bodies affects us physically and mentally.” When I eat processed food and junk food. I crave it…My brain is trained to want it….to want more of it….to want it ALL!
And then it hit me. If that is the case; then the opposite can also be true!
I can train my brain to crave good food…..I can teach my body to want to eat the healthy foods! And guess what….This crazy thing started happening. The healthier I started eating and the better I started treating my body. The healthier I began feeling and the more positive my outlook became on the world.
It isn’t fun being miserable. I know because I spent many years there. Today I have a choice….Either get up and make a change for myself to live a healthier lifestyle; or enjoy my misery. It’s free, it’s comfortable and it’s waiting patiently for me to give up. But guess what. It isn’t going to win 😉
The new me loves broccoli! I can turn a case of broccoli into 30 different dinners! Soups, stir-fry’s, steamed…You name it! Mostly, we eat it steamed. My 2 year old even loves it. But I wanted to try something new with it decided to give this a shot. It turned out interesting! A new way to eat on of my favorite veggies! Enjoy
- 1 Bundle Fresh Broccoli (stems removed, cut into smaller pieces)
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs (Plain or Italian)
- 1 Cup Cheese (Shredded Cheddar)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Add a touch of your favorite broccoli seasoning-parmesan, tarragon or garlic
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Steam fresh broccoli for 5-7 minutes (allow a few minutes to cool)
- In a bowl mix together broccoli, beaten eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, salt & pepper and any additional seasonings.
- Spray a baking sheet or use a piece of parchment paper.
- With your hands, make small patties with the mixture and place on baking sheet (about 2-3 inches wide).
- Place in oven and bake. Check at 15 minutes and if not dark and crispy, leave in another 5 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, flip patties around and bake another 10-15 minutes.