When I made this up for my family, I also breaded up some yellow squash and zucchini that was in my Italian veggie pack. My kids inhaled it!
Crispy Eggplant Parmesan
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- Kosher salt & Fresh ground pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Cup Dried Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup cornmeal
- 1/4 Cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 Eggplants
- 1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar of your favorite red sauce or homemade
- Your favorite pasta to go along with eggplant already cooked.
- You will also need large cookie sheets that are lined with cooling racks to bake your eggplant on and a 9x13 glass casserole dish for the final baking step.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Set up a breading station using 3 baking dishes. In the first dish, add the flour and season with the salt and pepper to taste. In the second dish add the eggs and water. Whisk them together. In the third dish add the bread crumbs, cornmeal and 2 TBS of the parmesan cheese. Season with a little more salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice your eggplants into 3/4 inch thick slices.
- Dredge your sliced eggplant in the flour, then in the egg wash and finally into the bread crumb mixture.
- Place each piece of eggplant on the cookie sheets that have been lined with your cooling racks. Bake until crispy about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven when done. Turn your oven on to BROIL now.
- Place you baked eggplant, overlapping, into the glass baking dish. Make 2 rows.
- Cover each row with about a cup of sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella and the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Put under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly!
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens