We love tomatoes! Whether it’s a bowl of pasta with homemade sauce or fried green tomatoes we love them in any and every possible way. Recently I decided to do something a little different. I decided to try my hand at tomato chips. Yep, you read that right, tomato chips. I don’t buy chips because it’s too easy to sit and consume an entire bag before you realize what you are doing but with tomato chips you don’t have to worry about the added fat, cholesterol or preservatives. The super cool thing about these chips is that you can also grind them into powder. My kids say it smells like spaghetti in a jar because of the herbs used. Once ground you can add tomato powder to soups, meats, eggs, anything you want, the possibilities are endless. Customize them to your liking, use different herbs and spices, go nuts!
Tomato Chips or Tomato Powder
- Ripe Roma tomatoes ( I used 6 for this batch) the more ripe the better
- Herbs of choice (I used approximately 1/2 tsp. each of basil, oregano, and tarragon)
- 1/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Slice tomatoes 1/8-1/4? thick.
- Combine herbs.
- Place on dehydrator trays and sprinkle herb mixture on each slice.
- Dehydrate tomato slices (approximately 6-8hours until completely dry).
- Remove from dehydrator and enjoy.
- Store in a covered container.
- Dehydrated tomato slices (whatever quantity you choose to use)
- Place tomato into a food processor, Ninja, or spice grinder. Grind until pulverized with no large chunks remaining.
- Store in an airtight jar and use as seasoning for soups, meats, eggs, breads, etc.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens