Watching a good movie while enjoying a homemade pizza is a common occurrence in our house and since no picky eating is allowed it’s easy to try different toppings with success.
One of our favorite movies is Secondhand Lions. It’s the story of a young boy who gets uprooted to live with relatives he doesn’t know and the adventures that follow. Since this movie takes place in Texas and because we’re in Texas it made sense to create a pizza using leftover brisket. After all, there is nothing like Texas brisket! Hope you enjoy the movie and the pizza as much as we did.
This is without a doubt one of the easiest pizzas you will ever make. It’s so easy that I sat at the counter and instructed our 12yr. old how to do. She did it all herself and was very proud of her accomplishment!
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Blackstrap Molasses
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp pizza yeast
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Approximately 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped or shredded smoked brisket (you can also used precooked chicken, pork, shrimp, or grilled veggies)
- 1 cup sliced onion (white, yellow or red, it’s your choice)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Rinse tomatoes and roughly chop. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat a minimum of 1 hour.
- Remove from saucepan and puree until smooth.
- Your result will be a thick deeply flavored bbq sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Add flour, yeast, and salt in mixing bowl, combine.
- Add honey and 3 tbsp oil continuing to combine then slowly add in enough water to begin dough.
- If dough appears too wet add a little more flour. If dough is too dry add a little water. Once you have a soft pliable dough ball remove from the bowl, knead one or two times and then set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Stretch dough onto a pizza pan ( you can make it round or square, it’s up to you).
- Brush dough lightly with remaining coconut or olive oil.
- Spread sauce within 1/4-1/2? of crusts edge.
- Sprinkle chopped brisket(or item of your choice), sliced onion, and cheddar cheese.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven, allow to rest 3 minutes. Slice and serve.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens