Zucchini Fries and Marinara or BBQ sauce
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian spices
- vegetable oil for deep frying or olive oil for baking
- Zucchini fries can be made in a traditional deep fry manner or can be made healthier by baking them in the oven. Your choice! Both ways are crunchy, flavorful, and hit the spot if you are craving fries!
- Wash and slice zucchini into fries.
- Put flour and spices into a large ziplock baggie
- Put Panko crumbs on a plate
- Form an assembly line with baggie of flour and spices, beaten egg, Panko crumbs
- Heat oven to 450 degrees if baking the fries.
- Heat oil in deep sided pan to 350 degrees, if frying.
- Put zucchini sticks in baggie of flour and shake, shake. (Great job for a child helper!)
- Take some fries and coat in egg batter.
- Roll fries in Panko crumbs (this makes the coating crunchy and yummy!)
- If baking, line a cooking sheet with foil and coat with olive oil.
- Put fries on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, turning once.
- If frying, when oil is hot, carefully drop fries into the hot oil.
- When fries are brown on one side, use tongs and turn them over.
- When zucchini fries are all brown and crisp, put on paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Keep putting fries in hot oil until they are all cooked and ready to eat!
- Enjoy with your favorite marinara or BBQ sauce.
- I used marinara and added cayenne to spice it up!
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens