You can do this with a variety of peppers and it will still be tasty, although the flavor will change a bit. Start by roasting your peppers. One batch is perfect for a pan of enchiladas.
Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cups anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 8)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium skillet, heat oil and sauté onion.
- Stir in chiles, garlic, stock, and salt and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree in a blender, food processor or using an immersion blender
- You can use immediately over enchiladas. It also refrigerates and freezes well.
- You can also make a larger batch and can this recipe. Pressure can at 10 lbs for 60 minutes for pints or 75 minutes for quarts
Multiply this recipe by 4 and you will end up with around 8 pints of sauce. You can veganize this by using water or vegetable broth in place of the chicken stock.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens