This recipe has become a real favorite in my house. I searched desperately for a recipe to use multiple bunches of celery before settling on this one, which is my own version of many cream of celery recipes. It is super yummy! If I happen to have scallions (green onions) then I add them, saving a few of the green ends for a garnish at the end, but if I don’t have any, I don’t worry about it – the soup is still amazing!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (coarsely chopped)
- 6 scallions (optional)
- 1 bunch celery (including heart and leaves, thinly sliced)
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you want to make it vegetarian)
- 1 large potato
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Add onions, scallions, and celery.
- Cook uncovered, until onion is translucent and celery is softened, 10-15 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender, or in a blender in batches until soup is a creamy consistency.
- Add nutmeg and heavy cream.
- Heat through, but do not boil.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens