I'm going basic with this because I know there are people who have never cooked green beans from scratch! If you are a little scared of the fresh green beans this is for you!
Plain Green Beans (boiled or steamed)
- Green Beans
- 1/2 an onion
- Water or broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Snap your beans (take off the ends and throw away, then break into bite size chunks)
- Chop in large pieces an onion (cut off the ends, cut in half, put half away for later, strip off a couple outside layers until it is fresh, then cut in wedges, then cut the other direction to make about 1/2 in pieces.)
- Put green beans in a frying pan
- Put onion in too
- Barely cover with water
- Add a generous bit of salt (1/2 tsp)
- bring to a fast boil
- Take off stove and drain when the onions and green beans have changed color and drain.
- If you want to steam them put the green beans in the steamer basket with the onions
- add a bit of water under
- add salt
- steam until the change of color.
- put pepper to taste right before serving.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens