This week we received fennel, red pears and apples in our baskets. I decided to try a more autumnal version of fresh fennel slaw by making an apple cider vinaigrette to dress it. It came together rather quickly and only needed to rest for 30 minutes for the flavors to meld. I would imagine this would be a wonderful side dish to roasted pork loin, pork chop or to top a pulled pork sandwich.
- 1 fennel bulb, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 small or 1 large apple (any variety), quartered, cored and thin sliced
- 1 pear (I used red) quartered, cored and thin sliced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper
For the Slaw
- Place the thinly sliced fennel, apple and pear in a bowl.
- Toss the slaw with the juice of one lemon to prevent browning.
- Pour vinaigrette over slaw and toss to coat.
- Allow to rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes for flavors to meld.
For the Vinaigrette
- Place vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens