The other day I was really craving macaroni and cheese. I adore the cheesy, hearty flavor of macaroni – it is practically its own food group in my life. I began to wonder if I could pull it off using cauliflower in the sauce like I do in my “Alfredo sauce”.
The resulting recipe is really good! Although it doesn’t have the same thick creamy texture as traditional macaroni and cheese, it is really good and flavorful! The recipe also passed the kid and hubby test. Cauliflower is versatile and nutritious so it is great to sneak those added benefits into something that tastes so comforting.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 4 C broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower with florets cut off
- 1/2 C milk
- 8 oz cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz pasta
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1/2 C bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large pot, boil the cauliflower in the broth until very tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cauliflower to a food processor or blender. Add a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Add the milk and cheese and blend. Salt and pepper as needed for taste.
- Cook the pasta in the same pot that you cooked the cauliflower in. Cook until almost done. Drain and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss until we'll blended.
- Mix the butter and bread crumbs together and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens