Celebrate the end of the week – responsibly, of course – with a cocktail that might actually be good for you. Thank God It’s Pomegranate! This cocktail combines the healthy benefits of pomegranate with simple syrup and a hint of basil, creating a flavorful and slightly sweet drink. Plus, you can make it with or without alcohol.
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c water
- 1 c fresh basil, cut into fine ribbons
- 2 c pomegranate juice
- 2 T lime juice
- Pomegranate seeds
- Fresh basil leaves
- Vodka or soda water
- Make simple syrup. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat, add basil and simmer 5 minutes more. Remove from heat. When liquid is cool, strain the mixture, reserving the simple syrup.
- Make mixer. Mix together pomegranate juice, lime juice and simple syrup in a pitcher.
- Make cocktail. Put 1 T of pomegranate seeds in the bottom of a martini glass. Combine 4 oz mixer with 2 oz vodka in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake, then strain drink into glass. Float a basil leaf on top.
- For a nonalcoholic version. Fill a highball glass with ice and pour 1 T of pomegranate seeds on top. Fill the glass 2/3 full with mixer and top with soda water. Garnish with a sprig of basil.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens
The pomegranate seeds provides a crunchy surprise at the end of the drink and seem to absorb some of the vodka – if you choose to add it. But whichever version you make for happy hour, you and your friends are sure to enjoy it. Cheers!