One of the things that participating in Bountiful Baskets has done has helped to expand my food horizons. A couple of years after I started participating in Bountiful Baskets, our local Farm Education Foundation started to host a Food Swap (disclaimer: I’m on the board, and the food swap is “my” project). Our swap is just starting it’s third year, and I’m always amazed at what I end up coming home with. This time around I ended up swapping some Apple Cranberry Preserves for some home made enchilada sauce, which I transformed into this creation!
I love enchiladas. I just don’t love the work involved with them (although, I do still often make them). This time around I went with a layered enchilada (which I have taken to calling “enchilasagna”). The only thing that came from the grocery store was the cheese. The chicken, pepper, onion, corn, and tortillas are from Bountiful Baskets. The enchilada sauce came from the Food Swap. And the beans are from a bulk buy that a neighbor used to host. 🙂
Chicken Enchilasagna Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté chicken, pepper, and onion until chicken is cooked through. Set aside
- In a bowl, mix together drained corn and beans.
- Spread ~ 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Place 1 flour tortilla (or 4 1/2 corn tortillas) in sauce. Spread an additional 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce over tortillas.
- Spread half of chicken mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle 1/3 of remaining enchilada sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese over chicken.
- Place 1 flour tortilla (or 4 1/2 corn tortillas) over chicken.
- Spread corn and bean mixture over tortillas.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of enchilada sauce over corn and bean mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese over corn and beans.
- Place 1 flour tortilla (or 5 corn tortillas) over corn and mean mixture.
- Spread remaining chicken mixture over tortilla.
- Sprinkle remaining enchilada sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes (this will make it easier to cut).
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens