There’s a plethora of pumpkin-infused products on the market every fall. From our lattes, to baking mixes, ice cream, donuts, candles and even beer, it’s all things pumpkin all the time — at least until the end of the year.
In fact, we’ve become an entire nation of Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eaters, so much so that retailers and restauranteurs have taken notice. According to Chicago-based Datassential Menu Trends, seasonal pumpkin-related products increased 234% in the past four years.
Not wanting to miss out on this popular trend, I have my own pumpkin-filled menu item — a Pumpkin Smoothie.
- 1/2 c pumpkin puree (not pie filling), canned or homemade
- 3/4 c milk
- 1 scoop of vanilla-flavored protein powder or 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t agave syrup
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t ginger
- 5 ice cubes
- Place all the ingredients -- except the nutmeg -- into a blender and whip until the mixture is smooth and frothy.
- Pour into a tall glass and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Makes one generous serving.
Whether for breakfast, a light meal or liquid snack, this Pumpkin Smoothie will make a healthier holiday menu item for you and your family.