The secret of a good ratatouille is to cook the vegetables separately so each will taste truly of itself.”
—Joël Robuchon, The Complete Robuchon
The Italian pack add-on has many vegetables and herbs that can be used to make a wonderful ratatouille. When you open the herb package that is included, the scent of Italian herbs makes you think of pasta and sauces. Looking for healthy vegetable centered dishes, ratatouille is a dish that can make a great dinner!
Ratatouille is a classic Mediterranean dish. There are many versions involving baking the vegetables together. The flavors blend and make the vegetables the star of the dish.
It can be a vegetarian dish with the vegetables served with pasta or rice. It can also be served as an accompaniment with omelets or scrambled eggs.
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 eggplant, peeled, sliced
- 1 summer squash, halved, sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved, sliced
- 6 small tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, diced finely
- 2 fresh sprigs of rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat bottom of ovenproof baking dish with olive oil
- Place all vegetables in baking pan in a layer as you chop them
- First, peel and slice onion and place on the bottom of the ovenproof dish
- Add diced garlic
- Rinse and slice the rest of the vegetables and place them all in the ovenproof dish
- Pour about 2-3 tablespoons olive oil on the top
- Toss the vegetables to coat them with the olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add fresh thyme and sprigs of rosemary on top
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Take the foil off and return the ovenproof dish to the oven for another 30-45 minutes
- When the vegetables are tender and browned, they are done!
- Remove sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
- Serve with pasta, omeletes, or roasted chicken. Enjoy!
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens