Raspberry Chocolate Coffee Cake
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup milk (almond milk, cow’s milk, soy milk are all fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or white chocolate)
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) unsweetened raspberries*
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8 or 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Make the streusel first by gently mashing up 3 tablespoons of cold butter in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup sugar and mix around with a fork. You want it to be chunky and crumbly. Add the almonds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a handheld or stand mixer, add 2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, milk, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, and egg. Beat on low until everything is sufficiently combined – about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Do not over-mix.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Layer with half of the streusel, then most of the raspberries and chocolate chips. Repeat with the rest of the batter and the streusel. Top with remaining raspberries and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, covered. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cake is best enjoyed on the same day. Cake stays fresh stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
Refrigerate after cooling. Especially in Arizona in the summer!
No almonds as I am allergic to them.
I used Soy Milk as it was on hand.
I used all three kinds of chocolate chips. Why? You really have to ask?
You could easily substitute Blackberry, Strawberry, or even Blueberry without any change. Just about any fruit would work! Be creative!
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens
Was wondering if you know of a good way to make this gluten free? It looks amazing!!! I could probably figure it out but was wondering if someone else has already done it. 🙂