Have you ever tried eggplant in your meatballs? It adds a nice depth to the flavor, and has the extra benefit of adding a little bit of health to your dinner.
Can be served as an appetizer, over pasta, or in meatball sandwiches.
- 2 lbs. fresh ground Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup basil chiffonade (sliced thin ribbons)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 medium Asian eggplant, finely diced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. sea or kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper**
- **Optional~ substitute 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes for black pepper
- *Peel and finely dice eggplant. Place in a colander or strainer (with a bowl underneath) and salt well. Allow to stand at room temperature approximately 1 hour. Rinse while lightly tossing in order to remove all of the salt.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Mix all ingredients by hand or using an electric mixer.
- Shape into 1"-2" balls and place in a 13x9 baking dish.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens