If you like a kick to your baked beans then this recipe is for you. It has spice with just enough heat to make you smile.
- 3 cups dry pinto beans
- 2 -14.5 ounce Mexican style stewed tomatoes
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 small green chili or jalapeno
- ½ cup blackstrap molasses
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 strips of cooked bacon diced
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon water
- Soak beans overnight then rinse several times.
- Add beans to a large pot, cover with water and cook until tender but not mushy, about 30-45 minutes.
- Put water and onions in a microwave dish and microwave for 1 minute.
- In a large casserole dish put everything else and mix well.
- Add the beans and onions and mix again.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper at the end so the beans don't get tough.
If you don’t have dry beans use 3 -15 ounce cans of pinto beans. Drain and rinse well before adding.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens