I was fortunate to live with my grandmother for 4 years during college. In the span of these years we spent much of our time talking about or making some family favorite foods! One of my FAVORITE desserts she would prepare was Kuchen.
It would never fail, she would bake two or 3 Kuchen’s on the one weekend I worked or was out of town! Now, I’m not complaining as I definetly reaped the benefits of her labor. However, she passed in 2013. We have scoured her recipe cards and many cook books and none of them indicated a recipe she used! For the past few year I have been trying out a few variations and finally have a Kuchen Recipe that is comparable to hers!
I hope you enjoy this little slice of Heavenly Kuchen with a twist- Mandarin Oranges!!
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Room Temperature Butter
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- Fruit of your choice- approximately 1/2 cup+
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sift Dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Cut in butter slowly, combining until mixture is crumbly
- Press into a greased pie pan. Mixture can be just at the bottom or pressed up the edge up to 1/2 inch.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking combine Egg Yolks, Sour Cream and Sugar until smooth
- When crust is finished baking, remove from oven and layer fruit onto the crust.
- Cover crust with Filling mixture.
- Bake for 25 Minutes.
- Remove from oven when filling appears set- does not jiggle when moving the pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over Kuchen and place under the Broiler until top of Kuchen is bubbling.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens