There is nothing better for warming the tummy than a bowl of homemade chili. It is even better if that bowl is a sourdough bread bowl. This recipe can easily be changed up to make it totally yours, so jump in and play with it!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 14.5 oz undrained diced tomatoes with chilis
- 3 cups pre-soaked dry beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 jalapena, finely minced (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 cups water (more if the chili gets too thick while cooking)
- Brown ground beef, onions, peppers, and celery in a large pot until cooked and soft
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 6 hours or until beans are cooked.
Try adding one cup each of pinto, black, and kidney beans for a nice change. Add water during the cooking as needed for desired thickness.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens