Do you have too many apples right now? Well one good way to use those fantastic bountiful basket apples is to make Fried Apple Pies. This may seem like such a lot of work but when you have company stop by you can take them out of the freezer, fry them and in a few minutes everyone will be happy. Serve with ice cream or for adults a little rum hard sauce is fantastic. I always keep them in the freezer along with peach and cherry filled pies.
Fried Apple Pie
- 3- 4 pounds assorted apples
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 ½ - 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Put 1 inch of water in a large pan
- Add lemon juice
- Peel, core, slice apples and add to pan
- Add sugar, salt, flour and cinnamon
- Cook on medium until tender, about 2 hours
- Add butter and vanilla
- Put in container, cool, and refrigerate over night
- In the morning make your favorite pie crust recipe, or use store bought.
- Roll small amount of crust into small circle, add filling, seal, poke holes in top of each pie and place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Continue until all the filling is used. Freeze the pies solid, then put into freezer safe container for later use.
- When ready to use the pies take out of freezer and deep fry at 365 degrees until crisp and golden brown.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve with ice cream. For an adult treat make rum hard sauce to pour over them. To get even sized pie crust portions try using a cookie scoop with the dough.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens
Can these be baked? If so what what temperature and for how long?