When Wendy asked me to edit this recipe, I had no idea she meant she didn’t say anything about it! For being so intelligent, she sure wasn’t thinking when she basically gave me free reign to type a paragraph or two (you can take just guess about all the things I could insert here, especially if you knew how our friendship works).
But; I’ll let you guys use your imagination on what I would say….Instead I will tell you that Wendy is an AMAZING cook. Her egg rolls are out of this world! And I would willingly eat anything she makes. Especially one with a name like Vampire Chicken!
Wendy is awesome….but Batman always wins! 😉
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (thawed)
- 1 quart marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1 fennel bulb (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes (more or less to desired heat level)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups thinly coined carrots (I used rainbow)
- 1/2 purple onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Italian blend seasoning (basil, thyme, oregano)
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided in half)
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- In a large pan, sauté the chicken breasts in half of the olive oil, flipping once until they are almost cooked through.
- Meanwhile in another pot, sauté the fennel, and onion until it is soft and translucent, add the garlic and red pepper flakes, sauté briefly, then add the marinara and carrots. Simmer about 10 min or until carrots are soft.
- When your chicken is nearly cooked through, mix the lemon juice, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a small dish and brush it on the top side of the chicken, flip it, repeat on the bottom side.
- Remove the chicken to a plate, place the marinara mixture in the chicken pan, return the chicken to the pan on top of the marinara mixture. Cover, simmer just until it boils and the chicken is cooked through.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens