I have been wanting to eat Brussels Sprouts in a soup and I wanted to find a way to have them in without it being the main attention getter. You may not believe me this when I tell you but…Brussels Sprouts have a bad rap. I get it; they are tiny cabbage looking things and they smell funny while you cook them with an equally strong taste! But I have found that once I got past the obvious reasons for thinking I shouldn’t like them and gave them a shot I fell in love with the tiny cabbage looking thing with a funny smell!
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 4-5 Celery Ribs (Chopped)
- 1 Carrot (Chopped)
- 1 lb Asparagus (Ends trimmed and chopped) about 1 inch pieces
- 4-5 Bacon Slices (Cut into Small pieces)
- 10-15 Brussels Sprouts (ends removed and halved)
- 3 Potatoes-Large (Peeled and diced in quarter sizes)
- 5 Mini Sweet Peppers
- 1 Box of Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp. Chicken Base
- 4 Cups of Water
- 1-2 Tbsp. of Pepper
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Diced)
For Creamy Soup Base
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup of Cheese (I used Colby Jack because that was all I had)
- Cut all vegetables to sizes stated above.
- Add vegetables, water, chicken broth, chicken base and uncooked bacon to a stock pot on medium.
- Simmer for 20 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Add butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, milk and heavy cream until smooth.
- Stir into soup.
- Add cheese.
You don't need to add salt to this recipe as the bacon and chicken have enough salt in there. I garnished with some croutons. Turned out amazing!
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens