Since we started contributing for baskets, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have used frozen vegetables while cooking. There is no need anymore! I have this beautiful bounty on a weekly basis. I love the difference it is making for my family, I feel better about the food we are eating, it is better for our health and I feel like I am making a difference in my family’s future.
I wanted to make one of our family favorites but I wanted to do it in a way that was minimally processed and still a “traditional family hot dish” Here is my result!
Tater Tot Hot Dish ~ Jamie Style
- 2 lbs. Hamburger
- 1 lb. Fresh Green Beans (Cleaned, Trimmed and cut in half)
- 1 Package of Fresh Mushrooms (Chopped)
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Jicama (Peeled and Chopped)
- 3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Package of Tater Tots
- 24 oz. of Chicken Broth
- 3/4 Cup of Flour
- 1 Tbs. of Butter or Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove (Minced)
- 2 Cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbs. Sour Cream
- Season Salt & Pepper to taste
- Steam green beans for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375º
- While beans are steaming, brown hamburger in a large pan.
- When the hamburger is browned, remove from pan and set aside.
To make Cream of Mushroom sauce
- Add butter or olive oil to pan on medium heat. Add chopped mushrooms, onion and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add chicken broth to pan and slowly whisk in the flour. Turn heat up high to get a boil and then turn down to low (while continuing to whisk).
- Add the sour cream and stir in and remove from heat. Sauce will thicken. This is your own Cream Sauce!
- Lightly coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- In the pan, add hamburger, green beans, jicama and cream of mushroom together and stir until mixed well. Top with a nice coating of pepper.
- Press down so your mixture is nice and snug in the pan. Pour soy sauce evenly over the mixture.
- Add tater tots on top of mixture in rows. This is where I use the season salt, I sprinkle it on the tater tots!
- Bake for 60 minutes (Until tater tots are nicely colored and crisp).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle parmesan on top, add back to oven to allow for melting (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
To go even less processed. Use whole wheat flour 🙂
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens