Some days you need to not think about what to cook and just have fun with what you have. I had tried something similar before but this time I did not have ham and cheese to make a ham and cheese roll so I tried a pizza roll instead. It turned out amazing. Then I was on pinterest and found that someone else figured it out too. I was sure that I was the first one but hey….what difference does it make as long as everyone enjoys it! I love pepperoni rolls! I make this every so often and it’s pretty tasty. However, I am telling you though, this is not made from scratch. But, this is one of those very easy, quick ways to make a pizza roll. This is obviously not one of those healthful meals…so eat at your own risk! LOL!
- pre-packaged frozen dough (I prefer rhodes)
- shredded cheese (mexi-blend or mozzerella)
- parmesan cheese
- pepperoni or whatever other pizza topping you like
- some herbs
- olive oil
- Loosely cover the frozen bread dough with plastic wrap.
- Allow dough to thaw for a few hours at room temperature.
- Roll dough out to approximately 11 x 11 square.
- One frozen dough log makes one pepperoni roll.
- Brush dough with olive oil or whatever cooking oil you prefer.
- Lay pepperoni on dough covering entire surface. I like to use sandwich pepperoni from the deli. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Next, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese. You can use grated from a can if that is what you already have on hand...but you can buy the shredded Parmesan in a bag.You'll find it right next to the other bags of shredded cheese. Wal Mart sells it for $1.99 and it is very good. I like using the shredded Parmesan in the bag because the flavor is so much better!
- Lightly sprinkle with Italian herbs...basically, some dried oregano, parsley and basil. Be careful, not too much....oregano can be very strong and you don't want too much!
- Add a sprinkling of garlic powder. I was all out of garlic powder, so I used garlic salt.
- Roll up dough starting at one edge of square.
- Place rolls on baking sheet, leaving space between.
- Brush some melted butter on top of uncooked pepperoni roll. You do not need to let rise.
- Bake it right away. It will rise up in the oven perfectly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approx. 15 to 25 minutes. Oven temps. and times may vary.
- When done, top of roll should be golden brown and you should be able to make a tapping sound on the crust with your fingernail...just the same as when baking bread. Make sure you allow pepperoni roll to cool completely before serving.
As with any baking, keep an eye on your roll. This is just an estimated time. You'll know it's done when the roll is golden and makes a hard tapping sound when you tap it with your fingernail...just like when baking a loaf of bread. The pepperoni roll will be oozing with cheese and looking quite scrumptious. Let it cool before cutting for heaven's sake! I know it's tempting to dive right in there, but give it time to cool and set up. **Make sure you allow your pepperoni roll to cool completely before slicing! Oh my gosh, this is a meal in itself. This makes a great dish to take to a friend's house for watching the football game, or to take on a picnic, or as an office treat for your friends. This definitely can stand alone for dinner with a tossed salad on the side. Everyone in my house LOVES it when I make these for dinner. It's a great leftover to take for lunch the next day too!
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens