I had never seen a green grapefruit! (If you read my blog posts, that probably doesn’t surprise you). But what may surprise you is that my husband who is a daily grapefruit eater, hasn’t either! So I do what I normally do when I don’t know how to use something. I find something on the internet that catches my eye, use about half that idea and add a few things of my own! I found this variety of grapefruit makes an excellent gelato which immediately caught my eye….I get to eat fresh fruit in an “ice cream” and its easy to make!? This of course was the result….enjoy!
No Churn Grapefruit Gelato
- 1/4 Cup Grapefruit Juice (I used Mellow Gold Grapefruit that we got in our baskets a few weeks back)
- 2 Cup Cream (Whipping Not Heavy)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Grapefruit Zest
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Cup Granola (Optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Whisk so that everything is mixed well.
- Put in a freezable container with the lid on for a minimum of 8 hours. Best if you wait 24 hours.
You can also add vanilla &/or almond extract for a little extra flavor. Only add 1/8 Tsp.
This makes about 2 1/2 cups of Gelato, double the recipe for a larger amount
Serve plain, with fresh fruit or granola
Pictured with Bountiful Baskets Tropical Granola.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens