There are many people who have greatly affected my journey into healthy living; some of them I have never met like the founders of this amazing co-op and the other leaders in Bountiful Baskets. Some of them were people whose time in my life was only momentarily, but whose impact I will feel for a lifetime…. Others have had a more regular influence in my life, teaching me on a daily basis, but there has only been one person who has inspired me quite like my best friend has. She has helped inspire me to start this journey and her support has helped me continue it on a daily basis. The love for healthy living runs deep in her family and the best thing about this amazing family; they share their love for it by teaching people to better their lives and live healthier everyday. If I could aspire to be like anyone in the kitchen it would be her….I am seriously in awe of her cooking skills! She made this bean salad and told me the name “Cowboy Caviar.” I had never heard of it, but I knew I liked the taste, the recipe comes in many variations, you can add or remove ingredients to your liking! Marisa cooks like me, she puts her heart and soul into cooking and the result is usually a work of art. If you are lucky enough to have tasted her food, you know what I’m talking about! This isn’t a “Marisa” original, but even though it’s not an original, it will do. We had these ingredients in the organic basket so I made it for dinner and got to talk about my best friend….Can’t go wrong with that!
Hope y’all like it!!!
- 2-3 Tomatoes (I used Round)
- 3 Shallots
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 2 Cups Cooked whole Black Eyed Peas OR 2 cans
- 2 Cups Cooked whole Pinto Beans OR 2 cans
- 1 Cup Cooked Kernels of Shoepeg Corn (extra-sweet small kernel corn) OR If you can't find it substitute in sweet white corn
- 1 Cup Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Mix together the EVOO, ACV and Sugar.
- Use a whisk to stir up the sugar.
- Add mixture to a small pot and put on stove.
- Turn on heat, stirring frequently. Heat to boiling.
- Remove from heat and put in a freezer safe container. Place in fridge or freezer until you are ready to use it. (It needs to be cooled).
- Wash and drain black eyed peas, pinto beans and shoepeg corn and place them in large container.
- Chop up shallots, peppers and tomatoes and add to bean mixture.
- Stir up mixture until it is completely tossed.
- When juice is cooled you can add it to mixture and stir up again. (usually 5 minutes if put in the freezer).
- Serve cold as a salad or as a dip with chips. My favorite is with cheese Doritos.
- Add 1 chopped up avocado, black olives, 1 tbsp. lime juice, chiles. You can add any vegetable to the salad that you enjoy!!