The Chile Relleno invokes images of deep fried, battered chiles, heavy beans, and a lot of gooey sauce. YUMM!! I needed a way to make this dish a bit quicker… And, yes, I will make the chile casserole version, soon. So, to be healthier and to make this a quick dish, here’s my take on the Chile Relleno. No stuffing of chiles involved.
The recipe is for a healthier serving and it’s just as easy to make this into a tasty Chile Relleno taco.
Chile Relleno Taco
- 4 chiles, peeled and seeded, pat dry
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- Salt, pepper
- Red chile powder
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Queso Fresco
- Vegetable oil
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
For the tacos
- Pat dry your chiles.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and chile powder.
- Coat the chile in the flour mixture.
- Whip the egg until fluffy.
- Coat the floured chile with the egg white.
- Re-coat the chile in the egg mixture.
- When the oil is hot, fry the chile until golden browning both sides.
- Place one hot battered and fried chile on the two warmed tortillas.
- Layer the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Melt the cheese by placing under the broiler or in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Top with another battered and fried chile.
- Add Queso Fresco crumbles on top.
- Serve with a side of salsa.
- For the tacos:
- Warm two tortillas for a double layer taco.
- Fill with fried chiles, lettuce, cheese, tomato and salsa.
- Top with Queso Fresco crumbles.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens