This is a wonderful way to hide cauliflower. My husband thought he hated cauliflower and would refuse to eat it. One day, I took the cauliflower and turned it into stir fried rice. I made it and popped it into our usual rice pan. When it was dinner time, I served it as though it was our regular rice. He ate every mouthful on his plate and said, “That’s great rice.” When I told him it was cauliflower, he was amazed! He now requests our special “cauliflower rice” instead of regular rice.
I think the sesame oil and soy sauce do the trick and hide the original flavor of the cauliflower. Try it and you will be surprised how good it is!
Egg Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
- salt, pepper
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Chop cauliflower into small pieces. Remove thick stalks.
- Using a grater or food chopper, finely chop the cauliflower into pieces.
- Put two pats of butter in frying pan.
- Crack two eggs into hot pan.
- Poke yolk of egg and fry egg flat, spreading yolk out as it cooks.
- When eggs are cooked, remove to paper plate to drain.
- Slice cooled egg into strips and save.
- Put sliced mushrooms in the pan and fry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove and let drain on a paper plate.
- Put ½ can vegetable broth in the same pan and heat.
- Add cauliflower and over medium heat cook.
- Add ginger, salt, pepper. Stir as it cooks.
- Add frozen peas. Let simmer until cauliflower and peas are cooked.
- Add sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Top with egg strips and green onion. Serve as stir fried rice.
- If you don’t mention it is cauliflower, they probably won’t notice!
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens