Spinach seems to be the theme of my month! I love when spinach is in season. It is one veggie that I can always find something new to do with it. A traditional pesto is lovely with basil, and here I swapped out the basil for spinach and came out with a lovely twist on a classic dish. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. If you do luck out and have leftovers, it reheats smashingly in the oven.
Grilled Chicken with Spinach Pesto
- 3 chicken breasts (grilled)
- 2 cups fresh spinach (well washed)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Fresh pepper (to taste)
- Grill your chicken first, while it cools enough to dice into pieces the sauce will come together.
- In a food processor, add the toasted pine nuts, spinach, and lemon juice.
- Pulse a few times to begin to chop up the spinach.
- Add in olive oil (SLOWLY is the key to a well combined pesto).
- Continue pulsing as the oil combines with the spinach.
- Add in the parmesan cheese a pulse a few more times (just enough to combine).
- Serve over your favorite pasta, tossed with your grilled chicken (my pasta of choice is from Costco...They have some great gluten free penne!)
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens