Steve Jones is a fellow Photographer and PhotoTips Member and Mentor. If you check out his images you will see that he is a renowned Star Trails (Night Sky) and Avian (Bird) Photographer. He is also an amazing chef! http://www.sjlarue.com/
Steve posted this image on the PhotoTips page and obviously my eyes went straight to it! I shared it with a few fellow foodies and found out Steve was right when he said it’s BEYOND AWESOME-SAUCE!
He found the recipe at: Oasis News
His image will now be the new feature image for the recipe (hmm, I wonder why that might be…)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries (fresh or lightly drained frozen)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy.
- Add the oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extract tot he eggs and mix well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the oil mixture and stir until just barely moistened.
- Add the strawberries and nuts and lightly mix, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour into a prepared pan and bake until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to an hour.
Steve: ***DON’T BE A FOOL, LET IT COOL!!!*** I also substituted vanilla extract for the almond extract because I don’t like the taste of almond extract.
Sally: Refrigerate immediately after cooling!
Michelle: I used coconut oil, cut the sugar to 2/3 cup (combo of coconut sugar and regular), added a little applesauce, and put a little extra almond extract. Nice flavor combination. With as good as it turned out with my changes, I am sure the original recipe would be great too!
Hope mine turns out okay. The batter was extremely thick, and I didn’t see any mention of that. I followed the exact recipe == fingers crossed