Whole Wheat Orange and Blueberry Cake with Orange Glaze
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/4 C Coconut Oil
- 1 T Orange zest
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 t Vanilla
- 3 C whole wheat flour (1/4 cup to toss with berries)
- 3 t baking powder
- 1 1/2 t kosher salt (unless using salted butter)
- 3 c fresh blue berries
- 1 c butter milk
- 1/2 c Fresh orange juice
- 1 T orange zest
- 2 c confectioners (powdered) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter and coconut oil with Orange zest and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of the flour
- Whisk the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the liquid and add the buttermilk.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment and a little cooking spray or use butter and flour to coat.
- Spread batter into pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. Let cool at least 15 minutes before glazing.
- Making the Glaze:
- Add 1/4 c orange juice to the confectioners sugar.
- Add orange zest.
- Mix well. Add additional orange juice if the glaze is too thick. Glaze should be pourable.
- Poke holes in the top with a chopstick and pour glaze over top. Don't get crazy with the glaze since it does not harden. You could add less liquid and make it more like a frosting I suppose but this thing is pretty sweet as is.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens