“Use it up- wear it out- make it do or do without”. This old pioneer adage is repeated so often in my house my kids start rolling their eyes before I even get to the “up”. I try to make it apply to school supplies, new clothes, cars, and even food. We don’t buy new until what we have is worn out or totally used up. And even then I really like to find a new purpose for the things we are replacing. In my kitchen leftovers get a new life as a new meal, scraps get boiled down to broth, and over-ripe fruits become delicious pies and crisps. Making a conscious effort to use everything up is very rewarding to my pocket-book, the environment, and my sense of creativity and accomplishment. It really bugs me when I can’t think of some way to re-purpose clothes, containers, and other household items. SO- you can imagine my frustration when I find myself with a whole drawer full of canning lids and rings and no ideas for how to put them to use.
Fortunately for me, last week my friend and fellow BB site coordinator Carrie shared a brilliant idea for using canning lids and rings to make individual tarts. With her permission I am sharing Carrie’s recipe and pictures here.
This idea sparked a whole list of “Canner Lid Tart” variations from eager BB participants. Including:
• Individual Pizzas
• Mini Quiche
• Sugar Cookies
• Cookie Ice Cream Cups
• Pies of any flavor including fruits, puddings, or custards
These ideas got me thinking about other ways to give those old canning supplies a new use. Here are some of the projects that I came up with, or found floating around the internet.
• Holiday Ornaments- Print family photos and holiday messages sized to the lids onto sticker paper. Attach to used canning lids with the photos on one side and the message on the other. Attach ribbon to use as a hook for an ornament- try using as a gift tag!
• Refrigerator Magnets- Using that sticker paper print up favorite quotes or pictures and attach to the top of used lids. Add a piece of magnetic tape to the back and enjoy- great gift for Grandmas.
• Coasters- Attach cork to the bottom of used lids and Mod Podge the top with cute paper, pictures, and photographs- great for a hostess gift or a new bride.
• Emergency Candles– Use extra jars and Crisco to make candles for emergencies.
• Harvest Pumpkin– Give old, rusty rings a new life as an adorable decoration
• Winter Snowman– Paint used lids to create a darling snowman
• Give old frames new life- Spray paint the lids and rings using bold accent colors and attach to mirrors, picture frames, shelving, etc to give interesting new looks.
There are so many ways to re-use those pesky lids, jars, and rings. What have you done to give your canning supplies a new life?