It’s alluring… It could be savory, or sweet, but seems somewhat risky in comparison to whipping together a regular pico de gallo. It sounds very sophisticated, but you may be still intimidated. We are here to help you untangle the anatomy of a mango salsa!
After much research it appears that a few ingredients are must haves:
1 – mango
1 – jalapeno
1 – 3 tbsp lime juice (may substitute lemon)
1/3 to ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
And then it is good to include some nice to haves:
¼ to ½ C mild red onion
¼ to ½ C green onion
½ C medium red bell pepper diced
1 C cucumber peeled and diced
1 roma tomato diced
½ cup chopped strawberries
1 cubed avocado
a dash of cider vinegar
a sprinkle of sugar
a few chopped mint leaves
4 tsp EVOO
Salt and Pepper to taste
It’s not so good to include all the nice to haves at the same time because you may just lose your mango, so here are some nice combos!
After you have your Mango Salsa there are many options for serving it!
- Tortilla Chips with all the options
- Sopapilla with Option 1
- Grilled chicken marinated in lime juice, evoo, salt & Pepper, and cilantro with Option 2, 3 or 4.
- Over grilled fish with Option 2, 3 or 4.
- A large scoop in the middle of a bed of lettuce makes a fantastic salad. No dressing needed! Great for all options.
- Topping a burger
- A spoonful on top of some cottage cheese
- In a pita
- In a wrap