Many of us got cabbage last week so I thought I’d share my favorite recipe for it. This actually comes courtesy of my wife and her family so I can’t take credit for it. It is one of the many things from her family though that I love. I should mention it is easily adjustable based on how much cabbage you have or want to use. Depending on what other plans we have for ours or how big the head is we vary the quantities a bit.
- 1 Medium Head of Cabbage, chopped like for slaw
- 1 Jar of dry roasted peanuts (salted or unsalted, your choice, I prefer salted)
- 4 Packages of ramen noodles including the seasoning packages
- 1 lb of cooked chicken breast (shredded or diced)
- 1 bottle of light Italian salad dressing
- Chop the cabbage like you would for making cole slaw.
- Crumble the packages of ramen noodles and toss with the cabbage.
- Mix in the ramen seasoning packets along with the peanuts and chicken.
- Finally toss everything in the salad dressing. Depending on how big your head of cabbage is you may need more like a bottle and a half of the dressing. You want everything to be coated in it.
- Regarding the chicken if you happen to home can chicken like my wife then you may use that. Store bought canned chicken would work well too. You can also just grill some up and dice it, whatever is easy.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens
My wife’s family frequently makes this in advance of large family gatherings. It stores well in big zip lock bags in the fridge and I think is better after it sits for a few hours to a day. It is one of my favorite leftovers to take into the office.