My husband’s favorite ingredient is jalapeños. He looks for an excuse to eat them (usually raw) with nearly every meal. Sometime I beat him to the punch and cook with them. I had a loaf of bread that was starting to get stale so I made this fantastic strata. Stratas need a few hours for the egg to soak into the bread so I usually put it together the night before then just pop it in the oven.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (I remove the stems and seeds but if you want more heat leave them in)
- 4 C bread, cubed
- 2 C cheddar, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 2 C milk
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t mustard
- Dash nutmeg
- Salt and fresh pepper
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Add onion and jalapeno. Cook until onion is tender. Drain.
- In a greased 9x9 baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, cheese, then bacon mixture. Repeat the layers.
- Stir together remaining ingredients and pour over bread concoction.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 325. Allow the strata to sit at room temperature while the oven heats.
- Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens