I love to share my fennel recipes because fennel is one of those things that gets a lot of confused looks at pickup. I think that fennel is especially yummy in Italian recipes so I whipped up this soup on a recently fall evening. As soon as weather gets cooler AT ALL, I fully embrace it. Considering I live in Central Texas, these “fall days” are sparse but glorious. This came together really quickly, so it worked well at my house on a week night.
Fennel, Tomato and Sausage Soup
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, diced
- 3 Italian sausages, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 T white wine
- 4 C chicken broth
- 3 round tomatoes, diced
- 3 round tomatoes, roughly chopped (we are going to blend these so don't work too hard here)
- 3 T fresh parsley
- 1 t fresh thyme
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook.
- Add fennel and sauté 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and deglaze pan, scraping up the flavorful brown bits.
- Put your 3 roughly chopped round tomatoes into the blender and blend into a sauce.
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, thyme and parsley. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This is really good served in bowls with a little grated parmesan on top.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens