Kale, the trendy “superfood” pops up in my basket quite a bit. I don’t love it, but it gives me an opportunity to get creative in the kitchen. This dish is inspired by sausage, kale, and white bean soup and will take you halfway across the world to a trattoria in the Tuscan Countryside.
Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Pasta
- 1/2 Box whole grain medium-sized shell noodles (or any short pasta will work)
- 1/2 lb. Mild Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Onion--diced
- 1 Carrot--grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves--minced
- 1/2 Can Cannellini or Great Northern Beans
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Crushed Tomatoes (or Tomato Sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Italian Seasoning
- 3 Stalks of Tuscan or Regular Kale--chopped
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Cook pasta according to package direction for al dente.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat.
- Brown and crumble sausage.
- Add onion and carrot and cook until they are soft and tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, kale, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until kale has wilted and is tender.
- Add cream and stir.
- Add pasta.
- Serve with crusty bread and LOTS of Parmesan cheese.
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens