What is a persimmon and how do you eat one? Persimmons are bright red-yellow, glossy, and plump with their leaf still attached. Persimmon tastes like mango or apricot. Though originally from Asia, they are grown in the United States and are in season in the fall. They can be peeled and eaten as a snack, added to salads, and are delicious in cookies, cakes, or muffins. This is my recipe for Persimmon Banana Bread. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cups butter
- 1 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 persimmons, peeled, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon into the mix
- Mix flour with soda and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, mix thoroughly.
- Add mashed bananas and persimmons to flour mixture.
- Add all to creamed mixture and mix well. Add nuts.
- Pour into well greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let stand in pans awhile.
- Remove from pans and cool completely.
I usually use two small loaf pans and make two loaves.
I either freeze one loaf or give it away. . .the other one gets eaten!
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens