This is a quick and easy recipe for a cross between a tart and a pie. You have all the flavors of an apple pie with the crisp sweet addition of pears. And to save on the pie crusts, use a crumble topping instead.
For the filling:
- Peel, core, and slice apples and pears into thin pieces.
- Add lemon, sugar, brown sugar, spout and cinnamon and mix well.
- Place all filling ingredients into prepared pie crust.
- Chop 2 tbsp of butter into small pieces and place al over the top of the filling.
For the oat crumble topping:
- It it's easier to mix in a pastry blender but if you're in a hurry...
- Chop butter into small pieces.
- Add flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Incorporate butter into dry ingredients as much as possible. Press and mix until you get a crumbly-texture.
- Layer oat crumble on top of filling.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Remove foil the last 15 minutes to crisp the crumble topping.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens