The idea of cauliflower to me just sounds awful. I didn’t grow up with cauliflower. It was just not a vegetable my very Filipino family used. And every time we get cauliflower in the basket, I sigh. But no more! I challenged myself to use an entire head of cauliflower and it worked!
Breast cancer forces me to reduce some things but how can I give up mac and cheese! We have at least one meatless night a week. This cauliflower mac and cheese dish made the table with a large bowl of steamed broccoli and cauliflower. NO ONE noticed the cauliflower IN the mac and cheese. And by the fourth helping by the picky one I knew this was a winner!
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 package of noodles, macaroni, shells, something small
- 1/3 cup of cauliflower, blanched and diced small
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Boil noodles in salted water for 5-7 minutes, and drain just before al dente.
- In a separate bowl combine cauliflower, milk, cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Add noodles to coat.
- Bake in a greased baking dish at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve immediately!
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens
Trying this recipe tonight, and super-excited! Funny, I worked with a Filipino girl names Lilibeth about 10 years ago, in DuPont Washington.
What a great idea! I love cauliflower and MAC and cheese! I bet this is incredible! I would probably use a whole head of cauliflower though. 1/3 of a cup is just a teaser.