I used my case of mangoes to make the best jam ever! I was researching different jam recipes online when I stumbled across nectarine jam with basil. I immediately got excited at the possibilities of basil!! My husband and kids love to eat mangoes, but I wanted to do something special with them. I let the 8 pounds of mangoes ripen all week until they were wrinkled and soft, but not mushy or moldy. I discovered last summer that very ripe mangoes make for a more spreadable jam, and that’s why I added Sure-Jell to this batch of mangoes.
- 8 pounds mangoes, very ripe -peeled, cored and mashed
- 4 cups sugar
- 10-12 basil leaves, whole
- 1 package Sure-Jell
- 1/4 c lime concentrate or fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger, optional
- Peel and core mangoes. The mangoes I used were very very ripe so I just squeezed them from the pit/core making sure they were mashed well. In a heavy sauce pan, boil mango puree with remaining ingredients for about 25-30 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Adjust lime and sugar content as needed for your own taste. *I love mine full of lime, so I tend to lime it up!
- Pour into nine prepared half-pint jars and seal.
- *This jam comes out as a softer spread, but is yummy just the same! Has the sweetness of ripe mango but the lime and basil gives it the savory that balances the sweetness!
Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens
This very flavorful jam is great on toast, biscuits, plain bread, thumbprint cookies, and even ice cream!