I love it when a brand-new add-on option pops up on the BB offerings page but, if you are anything like me, sometimes those new items can be a little bit intimidating. This was the case today when I saw a half gallon jug of organic, unfiltered, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) on the list. Now I was pretty much sold at the word “jug”- I LOVE me some glass jars. But before I took the full leap I wanted to make sure this was a good deal and, that I would find ways to use it. When Bountiful Baskets put a shout out for great ACV ideas I was thrilled with the response. What a versatile, healthy, useful product. I can’t wait to try out some of the tips that were shared For You, From You.
Cleaning with ACV
• Spray in the Shower to remove soap scum (Tina H.)
• Fruit Fly Trap- In warm water, dissolve 1/3 cup sugar. Add 1/2 cup acv and a dribble of dish soap. Mix well and leave out for flies. Think Devil’s Snare from Harry Potter (Amanda G)
• Spray it on carpet stains and cover in baking soda. Wait until it dries then vacuum up and the carpet is clean! (April G)
• Use to get rid of rust
ACV Home Remedies and Beauty Tips
• Mix 1 T of ACV, 2 T fresh squeezed Lemon Juice, 1t cinnamon, dash of cayenne in 8-12 oz water and drink it every morning- (Christine P)
• Drink a bit daily to help digestion, liver/kidney function and general health
• Great for dogs with allergies or fleas- use as a topical wash and add to their water or food
• Hair conditioner- for humans (Virginia G)
• Blend with hot peppers, onions, garlic, ginger and let ferment on the shelf for 2 weeks or so. Use as a “medicine” for everything from stomach bugs to ear infections. (Micah C)
• Add to feed for dogs, horses, chickens- helps keep skin, breath, and stomach healthy
• Add to warm water and soak feet to cure foot odor and foot fungus (Ashley W)
• Soak strips of brown paper bag in ACV. Apply on sprains and swelling then wrap with ace bandage. Gets the soreness out and reduces swelling. (Gail M)
• Drink one small shot with each meal to reduce acid reflux and heartburn.
• Skin toner- mix 50/50 with water and apply to skin with cotton balls. Let dry completely before applying moisturizer or you will trap the scent in. (Karen D)
• Use to clear up yeast infections
• Use to remove moles, skin tags, and warts
• Add one cup to very hot bath water and soak to relieve muscle pains (Dawn N)
• Cool the burn of sun burns
• Soak steel wool in it and use to stain wood
• Put on bug bites and bee stings (can mix with baking soda or meat tenderizer depending on the bite)
Cooking with ACV
• Use it in deviled eggs. For 1 dozen hard boiled eggs, mix yolks with 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup acv, sprinkle paprika on top. Much tastier than the mayo based versions. (Michelle B)
• Add it to soy or almond milk to make a Vegan buttermilk for baking (Carrie B)
• Use it to help leach the good stuff out of the bones when making broth (Kim W)
• With salt on sautéed greens (Anna S)
• Make goat cheese
• Side dish of pickled cucumbers. ACV, sliced cucumbers, onion, sugar, S&P, let sit in fridge for 4 hours. (Stacey B)
• Mix with EVOO for salad dressings
• Make “Good Girl Moonshine” – Non-alcoholic drink the ACV, ginger, lemon, berries and fruits, mint, ice, and water (Lisa N)
• Toss onto warm potatoes before they cool and are used for potato salad. Gives them flavor and reduces the dressing absorption (JoAnn W)
• Great in Gluten Free Bread recipes (Alicia P)
• Add a Tablespoon to pie crust for nice, flakey texture (Felicity S)
• Best Teriyaki Sauce I’ve ever had- 1 T cornstarch, 1 T cold water, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 c acv, 1 clove garlci, 1/2 tsp ginger. Simmer until bubbly and thick and use on chicken, steak, pork, etc. (Christina M)
• Pulled Pork- 1 cup ACV with a bottle of Bar-B-Que sauce into crockpot with pork shoulder. (Jessica M)
• Yummy Coleslaw- Greek yogurt, minced garlic, dijon mustard, ACV, S&P, raw local honey. Mox and toss over a head of BB cabbage, green onions and shredded carrots (Karen K)
Use a dilute (PALE) mixture of ACV and water as a douche to stave off an incipient yeast infection. Repeat frequently.
The more incipient the infection is, the PALER the solution should be.
Also makes a great feminine wash to keep in the bathroom for daily use.
I use ACV when I have a sore throat. It works very well. Use equal amounts (I use 1/4 cup ea) of organic unfiltered ACV and your local honey. Mix well & swallow 1 Tbs every couple of hours for a total of 6 for the whole day. It will cure your sore throat in a day of 2 with the antibiotic properties of the honey but be sure it’s local honey to get the full benefit.
If you find yourself sharing your house with a tribe of “noseeums” (gnats) put out a shallow bowl in which you have put a few drops of dish detergent and about 1/3 cup ACV. The annoying little critters are attracted and do a Kamikaze into the bowl. You would be amazed at how many of them there are after 24 hours!