Jeanne Gibbons shared this recipe on the Bountiful Baskets Recipes board:
- Chili Sauce (spicy)
- Makes about 6 pints.
- 2 cups sweet green peppers, chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 24 large tomatoes(4 quarts peeled, cored, chopped)
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp celery seed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- Hot Pack
- Combine and add all ingredients to a heavy sauce pan
- or cast iron skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer 1 to
- 2 hours or till desired thickness has been reached.
- Stir often to prevent sticking. Pack hot jars with hot
- prepared tomato mixture leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim and screw threads and
- adjust lids and screw bands.
- Boiling Water Bath Canner
- 1/2 Pints 15 minutes
- Pints 15 minutes
- After processing, remove jars immediately, place on a
- rack to cool.
- Test for Seal.
- Note: just because I'm paranoid about food safety, I would add a 1/8 tsp of citric acid to each cup jar, 1/4 tsp per pint jar before capping to bring the PH into a safe level without affecting the taste of the product. But that's just me.
Copyright 2007 - 2012 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens